Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tofutti's Dairy-free Sour Supreme

Rating: ♥


Some people like to dip everything in ranch dressing...I myself am a fan of sour cream. When I found out I couldn't have a dollop of Daisy with every meal, I was crushed. As a picky eater, I used sour cream to hide the flavors of foods I didn't like or make a spicy dish a little more mild. So I was stoked when I found a dairy-free sour cream substitute- Tofutti's Sour Supreme. But don't get TOO excited, reader. My enthusiasm was brought to a screeching halt when I opened the tub. The consistency was rubbery, kind of like what you would expect a dried-out can of paint to look like. And taste wasn't much better. My baked potato and margarine was much better without this addition. I'd say do one of two things: cut out your sour cream consumption completely or keep looking for another alternative. Trust me, I've been searching but even "sour cream substitutes" like IMO have dairy in them. If you are not hugely allergic to dairy and just have a strong sensitivity, cut out dairy full time and allow yourself a small dollop (1 Tbsp) of a light sour cream (you'll avoid the richness that can often create an upset stomach) on special occasions. If you must avoid dairy at all costs, look at other products that can be used instead of creamy condiments. For example, to tone down spicy Mexican food, use some fresh guacamole. For a yummy baked potato, remove insides from skin after baking and mix with rice milk, margarine, and a dash of salt. Spoon it back into its skin and sprinkle with bacon bits, chives, or shredded veggie cheese. You'll find a way to get your sour cream fix, but trust me...Sour Supreme isn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment